Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tacoma Cheap Eats : MSM Deli



On the outside MSM deli looks like just another one of Tacoma's Sixth Avenue convenience store. That's because it is a convenience store. But on the inside, you'll find the fast and frenetic hands of the talented sandwich artists who give MSM its name.




"MSM stands for Magical Sandwich Makers", says owner Jamal Muthala .
"So if I eat a sandwich here," I ask. " I'll magically turn into what?"
"You turn into a happy customer. That's for sure."

I haven't come alone. This food blogging business is a tough one to learn so I've asked Adrienne Vernon of Tacoma Foodie fame to show me around.

"The sandwiches are huge." Adrienne says." I can only eat half so my husband and I usually split one. And the quality of the ingredients is really second to none."


You really do get a lot for your money. The sandwich above is considered a half order and costs just $3.67.
That's the kind of price that will make you believe in magic.

"These sandwiches are so magical, it's like elves made them" quips Adrienne.


  This is a Mike's Deluxe. It's piled high with everything imaginable on a nine inch roll and costs $6.99. No wonder lines usually run out the door. That's why Jamal gave us his magical tip:

"Call ahead! I can't stress that enough!" says Jamal. " Sometimes we'll have a half hour wait if you just walk through the door."

Postscript: From the man himself I hear KING 5's Jesse Jones was one of MSM's best customers when he lived in Tacoma.




Extra hint: MSM deli offers a great selection of beer. Also, if you're a pickle guy ( I'm not), you're in for a treat!

MSM Deli
2260 Sixth Avenue
Tacoma WA (map)
(253) 272-4812

MSMDeli.com
Evening Magazine story



No comments:

Post a Comment